Sunday, March 23, 2008

Oh, Astoria...

Ask me why I live in Astoria.

Go on, ask.

OK, since you've asked.

It's cheap. It's cheap, it's convenient, it's safe, it's easy to get to, and well, it's cheap. Did I mention it's cheap?

When I spent my childhood and most of my teen and college years daydreaming about someday living in THE city, I never imagined I would live in Queens. My career choice, the outrageous cost of this city and my personal desire to put money into my savings account landed me in Astoria. And nearly two years later I'm still here.

I'd be lying if I told you economics is not what has kept me here, but still, there is something magical about this neighborhood. And something even more magical about the diversity of this borough. The most diverse county in America.

Last Saturday I left my apartment with 2 tasks set out to be accomplished: eat lunch and go to Rite Aid. It was a warm afternoon and the sun was shining, so I diverted part of my plan for the park. I grabbed a bagel and sat in the concrete-filled park around the corner from my apartment, "Athens Square."

Half of the park is filled with basketball courts and the other half is an homage to Greece, in the eyes of an ignorant outsider, like myself. The center of this half is built with a mini ampitheater with Parthenon-like pillars outlining the curve. A statue of Socrates stands next to the Parthenon pillars. Astoria is known as a Greek neighborhood, but it's ever-changing.

As I lose myself in a daydream and a fluffy bagel, I hear, "Excuse me, Miss, what time is it?"

"3:05"

A question from a group of Hispanic boys playing soccer in the center of the ampitheater. They call out plays in Spanish and narrowly miss hitting the other children running around the ampitheater.

Another conversation begins on the bench next to me. An outrageously loud conversation. A man speaks in Arabic on his ear piece.

The neighborhood Greek men convene at a chess table behind me. Mid-game there is some argument. Or perhaps a passionate discussion.

I finish my bagel, take a deep breath and wonder.


Where else in the world could I hear Spanish, Arabic and Greek being spoken simultaneously? Would this happen in Manhattan? Regardless it does happen in THE city, just maybe not in the location of my original daydream.

No comments: